Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
You qualify for EITC if:
- you have earned income and adjusted gross income within certain limits; AND
- you meet certain basic rules; AND
- you either:
- meet the rules for those without a qualifying child; OR
- have a child that meets all the qualifying child rules for you, or your spouse if you file a joint return.
For 2019, earned income and adjusted gross income (AGI) must each be less than:
- $50,162 ($55,952 married filing jointly) with three or more qualifying children
- $46,703 ($52,493 married filing jointly) with two qualifying children
- $41,094 ($46,884 married filing jointly) with one qualifying child
- $15,570 ($21,370 married filing jointly) with no qualifying children
Tax Year 2019 maximum credit:
- $6,557 with three or more qualifying children
- $5,828 with two qualifying children
- $3,526 with one qualifying child
- $529 with no qualifying children
Social Security Number
You, your spouse and any qualifying child you list on your tax return must each have a Social Security number that is valid for employment that was issued before the due date of your return (including extensions).
Filing Status You must file:
- Married filing jointly
- Head of household
- Qualifying widow or widower
You can't claim EITC if your filing status is married filing separately.
Income Earned During 2019
- Your tax year investment income must be $3,450 or less for the year.
- Must not file Form 2555, Foreign Earned Income or Form 2555-EZ, Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.
- Your total earned income must be at least $1.
- Both your earned income and adjusted gross income (AGI) must be no more than:
I Have a Qualifying Child
If you, and your spouse if filing a joint return, meet the criteria above and you have a child who lives with you, you may be eligible for EITC. Each child you claim must pass the relationship, age, residency and joint return tests to be your qualifying child.
I Don't Have a Qualifying Child
If you and your spouse, if filing a joint return, meet the basic EITC rules for everyone, you qualify for EITC if:
- You resided in the United States for more than half of the year; AND
- You cannot be claimed as a dependent or qualifying child on anyone else's return; AND
- You must have been at least 25 but under 65 years old at the end of the tax year.